Tuesday, September 27, 2011

GRE ---> check.

PhD school in Georgians is becoming more and more of a thing.
I am writing a statement of purpose, even.

I am also a librarian now.
This is, to me, unsettling. In fact, I am hoping to go there and see what is happening because, apparently, Saakashvili is trying to make Svaneti a super tourist destination. This is bound to bring forth significant, probably irreversible changes. I am refraining from a value judgment. I just want to get there.

It is always scary to me, inevitably scary, when roads get constructed, hotels built, people shipped over for an exotic time in a remote part of the world. Why are we to simplify everything so much that so little authenticity remains? Why must we put our comfort above all else? Why must we be fine flying for ten hours, only to desire the same commodities as our homes provide, the same foods, air, drinks... how many times have I seen this happen? It will never stop, will it?

Project coming along. Should be done in something like two weeks.

No comments: